Origin of Sister Cities
The Sister Cities concept was initiated in 1956 by President Dwight Eisenhower to promote cultural and commercial ties. In 1967 it became the Sister Cities International (SCI) organization, a nonprofit citizen diplomacy network for partnerships with international communities. SCI leads the movement for local community and volunteer action by motivating and empowering private citizens, municipal officials and business leaders to promote peace one individual and community at a time.
In 1988 the Carlsbad City Council recognized the cultural, educational and economic benefits of Sister City relationships when it established the Sister City Program under city ordinance. Its mission was to create active and meaningful connections between Carlsbad and its citizens and comparable yet internationally dispersed communities. These connections were intended to promote peace, cultural awareness and economic opportunities through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation.
Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors, a Nonprofit Corporation
Consistent with the trend for cities to turn their Sister City program administration over to nonprofit corporations, in 2009 the City of Carlsbad requested it's then Sister City Committee to create a new nonprofit corporation. This was accomplished later that year and in April 2010 the Internal Revenue Service approved the newly created Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors (CSCA) as a tax exempt 501 (c)(3) corporation. CSCA is now working to expand participation to include more residents and businesses. Founding directors include Tom Hersant (Chair), Harriet Norris and Edna Gibson (Vice Presidents) Jacquie Thye (Secretary) and Kim Miller (Treasurer). All have been actively involved internationally.CSCA has maintained affiliation with Sister Cities International and its over 160 international Sister Cities affiliated with over 30 cities in Southern California.